Tuesday 5 March 2013

FAMILY TEES: HARRADINE TAKES INAUGURAL MEYDAN GOLF MEN'S OPEN TITLE


Michael Harradine clinched the first Meydan Golf Men's Open title at The Track, but he insists he did not have an advantage in the competition despite the course being designed by his family business.

"It was designed by the company in collaboration with Meydan, but I don't think it helped me," said Harradine, who is a third generation golfer in a family synonymous with the sport. His grandfather, Donald, launched the Harradine Golf - a course design company - in 1929 and his son and Michael's father, Peter, is one of the most respected course architects in the game.
Michael, whose win in the Meydan Open means he now tops the Emirates Golf Federation Order of Merit, has only played The Track twice, but has knowledge of the course during construction. He admits, however, that familiarity may have lulled him into a false sense of security.
"I thought it would be easier that it was because I walked around it plenty of times when it was being built. I remember thinking that the fairways were wide and it wouldn't be too much of a challenge, so I was surprised how tough it was.
"If I'm honest, I was surprised that I won, because I was poor," said Harradine, who carded 156 over the two day event. "Everyone had a shocker though, I think I just played less badly than everyone else."
"I was eight over after the first round and then four over after the second and I didn't think I'd even be in the top three."
Craig Forrest came second with a score of 163 followed Ricky Dominguez with 164. The lowest nett scores were by Nicolas Reincke (148) and Alban Des Brest (163). Alistair Purves won the nearest the pin on day one and Harradine won the nearest the pin on day two.
The Track was completed last year and since then it has gone from strength to strength. It has hosted a Night Golf Championship and a series of pairs competitions as well as the Men's Open. The next event at the course is the Ladies Open which takes place on Saturday March 16, 2013.
To register your interest, contact: info@meydangolf.com. Prices are 450AED per guest, 395AED for Emirates Golf Federation or Troon members. The price for juniors is 395AED per player. The price includes: tea, coffee, pastry and yogurt on arrival; shawarma and soft drink on the course; and afternoon tea during the prize giving.
Stay up to date on news from The Track at www.facebook.com/thetrackmeydangolfclub .

No comments:

Post a Comment