Monday, 17 June 2013
An Active, Healthier Lifestyle Made Easy
Recent figures from the International Diabetes Federation suggest that 18.9 per cent of the UAE population is living with diabetes.
The good news from ‘Diabetes-Knowledge-Action’, the public health awareness campaign from Imperial College London Diabetes Centre under the patronage of HH Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak, is that diabetes can be managed or even prevented just by adopting a healthier lifestyle.
A balanced diet and exercise combo
· A balanced diet and regular exercise is a simple but smart way of managing a healthy lifestyle.
· Make it a habit to take a 30-minute brisk walk each day
Read labels on packaged food and drink
· Today’s ever-stringent food labeling guidelines mean that you can get to know what to eat – and what to avoid – by carefully reading the labels.
· The first ingredient makes up the largest quantity of the food items.
· Beware of the foods where fat, margarine, cream, oil or sugar features among the top few ingredients.